Wednesday, 23 November 2016

Busy busy busy

Hey all! Hope you are well!

Just a little update as it's been a bit of time. And since I have some news (some good, some not so good.) I thought I'd give you all an update!

So first the bad news. Unfortunately my animator (ChrisArmin) for the Solarion Project, isn't able to work on the game. He was offered a job with interests that more suit his tastes (tentacles), and he has decided to take it. Despite it being a shame he won't be working on the project (I may have got a bit too hyped after a sketch he sent me back along) I wish him all the best on that, and I think ultimately it was the best choice for him, so I have no hard feelings.

This has led to me re-evaluate the game slightly and what I want to do with it, since it is after all the project I'm most forward to working on (as I've always said).

I think this game will no longer be focus on SS (I know, I know, I can hear the boos), but a more generic sort of adult game. I'm hoping to do something really ambitious with it and want to turn it into a game with a lot of depth: create meaningful choices for the player with terricic dialogue for NPCs, create a strategy battle system that would have interesting mechanics (maybe even make it real time if my skills allow), allow a customisable player and give a whole depth of options for NPCs, allowing the player to precisely decide who they want as a part of their crew  (and these could pander to certain fetishes for example).

My aim is to try and reach a wide audience and try and add a lot to this game. As I mentioned, I would like character customisation be a big thing. Something like age, and gender but with different looks as well would be awesome.

Basically this is a really ambitious project that I'm not sure how long it will take to complete. But I want it to be the focus of my time. But not right now obviously.

My aim for the future (maybe you could consider this early New Years Revolutions?) is to finish off A Zombie's Life and Urban Demons (though the latter may take quite some time as well obviously.) And once these two projects have finished I'll begin working on the Solarion Project with as much time and heart as I am able to give it.

Due to the ambition of the project I may go silent for a few months while I dive into the planning stages, and early coding stages building up the back-end architecture and such, but for now it's too far away to comment upon really.

However I know my patreon has been built around the idea of 3 games and so I've made some changes around that, but you can check that out on my patreon.

Anyway so the good news, though I guess for you guys it's just news maybe (but I'm really chuffed with it anyway!) I have managed to create some code that plays scenes in rpg maker.

Woah, woah! I can see you already frantically typing "But Nergal, that already exists! You are just lying to make it look like you are busy!" I assure you I'm not!

Let me explain...

So with the Sijix, now taking over the animations for A Zombie's Life, it became clear I was going to need another system to play through animations. Currently (as I'm sure anyone who has cracked my game files will know) I have to create an event on a map for each animation, and then set up each frame as set a waiting time etc etc. Which works fine when the animations is about 7 frames long.

However the problem (and it's not really a problem). Is that the Sijix's first animation was about 150 frames (including the cum variant.) So you can see the issue here!

Obviously my old method wouldn't really be feasible as the whole point of getting someone to do the animations was to save time, not to add more in the setting up! So I've been spending quite a lot of time this month building something that will allow me to place all of one scene into a folder, pass in a single script call from an event and allow it to play the entire scene as normal... And this I have finally achieved today!

The downside is currently I'm figuring out the best way to add in dialogue, but the faster/slower/cum options now work with the keyboard (right arrow/ left arrow/ enter.) Sounds effects could also be an issue, but less of one I think.

This has also allowed me to better structure my folders (my picture/ parallax folders won't begin to bloat out because of this.)

One negative point however with these new animations is the game will overall be quite bigger, but hopefully it will be a good trade off ;)

Another great point is that I can re-use it in Urban Demons too, since I've made it pretty generic.

So my plan is to get Sijix to re-animate my older scenes, when he has finished with newer ones (or when he takes over Scarlett in making them compared to how quickly she makes new art.)

Anyway, I have blahed on too much, especially considering the technical detail involved. Just know I have been working very hard getting this to work and I hope you guys will find it a big improvement!

Speak to you soon guys!
- Nergal